The Royal Logistic Corps
Museum, located at
page / history index / museum
The Museum - admission FREE !
|The Royal Logistic
Corps was formed on 5 April 1993, amalgamating the Royal
Corps of Transport, Royal Army Ordnance Corps, Royal Pioneer
Corps, Army Catering Corps and the Postal and Courier Service
The Museum was built especially in 1995 to
house the large collections amassed by the Trustees of the
The Museum includes a large display area, lecture room and
seating areas. This new purpose-built museum, located at Deepcut,
was opened by HRH the Princess Royal. Visitors can discover
for over 500 years, soldiers have been transported, supplied
with equipment, fed and kept in touch with loved ones.
The museum is housed in an air-conditioned building, that
comprises a single main gallery of about 400 square metres
and a numbers of offices, store rooms and archives. In addition
there is a further archive and a main store in separate buildings.
These are not open to the public. Guided tours, lectures and
the use of collection material for handling sessions are all
available by prior arrangement with the curator. Information
to help cross-curricular courses by teachers is also available.
The collections of The Royal Corps of Transport, The Royal
Ordnance Corps, The Royal Pioneer Corps, The Army Catering
Corps and The Postal and Courier Service (Royal Engineers)
have been brought together in fresh displays which explore
the work of the millions of men and women who serve with these
corps over the centuries.
The museum contains roughly 25,000 artefacts and 106,000 archive
items relating to the RLC and its predecessor Corps. The rich
archive collection offers an important resource for researchers
of all backgrounds, whether the interest is family history
or more in-depth analysis. Only a small number of objects
are on display and the display is organised chronologically,
starting in the 14th century and ending with the formation
of the RLC in 1993. The museum is in the process of redeveloping
the gallery to give a more detailed account of the RLC from
1993 to present day.
The present display was planned in 1993 and built in 1995
for the Royal opening. They are now in the process of redesigning
the galleries, with the first stage being the building of
a new exhibition to celebrate the first 10 years of the RLC
in 2003. The existing display is chronological and comprises
24 display cases, eight tableaux, and a number of other objects
such as vehicles, cookers and ammunition. The museum has attempted
to show the development of supply, transport, labour and catering
in each period, so that its development can be seen over the
last six centuries. Much of the emphasis is on regimental
history, rather than wider logistic matters, but they are
hoping to change this in coming years.
Pioneer Corps Exhibits of Interest
There are a wide variety of objects of interest in the museum.
These range from musket balls from the battle of Marston Moor
(1644) to a watch that stopped when the troopship Lancastria
was sunk with huge loss of life in excess of 5,000 in 1940
- many of them Pioneers. Exact totals will never be known.
Suffice it to say that the sinking of the Lancastria was the
single greatest marine (not naval) disaster suffered by the
British in WW II.
The Museum holds three Victoria Crosses and one George Cross,
but the originals are not normally on display. At the moment
only a small collection of medals are on display in the museum,
with the vast majority being housed in the Officers’ Mess (RCT/RASC)
or the Sergeants’ Mess (RAOC). Serious medal enthusiasts should
contact the Museum in advance to arrange access to these extensive
medals of Captain Herbert Sulzbach, Pioneer Corps.
He served in the German Army during World War I and the British
Army in World War II and was awarded medals by both countries,
including the Iron Cross 1st Class. These medals are on show
in the museum. Read more about Captain Herbert Sulzback and
his book on the history reference
Enquiries about the Collection and
The Museum does not accept any research enquiries by email. All enquiries must be made in writing.
Archives and Research
The Museum is registered as a recognised place of deposit
with the Public Records Office. We have a very extensive archive
of over 100,000 documents drawn from all the forming corps.
The earliest original document is a letter from the Duke of
Marlborough regarding the recruitment of labourers in 1703,
although we also have facsimiles of documents dating from
the 17th century.
The Museum welcome research enquiries, not least because
we are conscious that military logistics is too often unappreciated
and we are keen that it should take its rightful place in
the study of military history. The Museum is fortunate to
have a full time archivist, Dr Anthony Morton, and an assistant
archivist. They are happy to answer any reasonable research
enquiry, but they cannot undertake major pieces of research
for authors or academic specialists.
Mon-Fri 0900hrs - 1600hrs. Sat 1200 - 16:00. Sundays Closed
Royal Logistic Corps Museum
The Princess Royal Barracks
Tel: 01252 833371
The museum is easily accessibly by car via the M3. The number 48 bus service runs from Brookwood Station (South West Trains’ London Waterloo to Southampton main line) to the museum. The
map above is a closeup map of the general area and map below
gives you an idea of the general area and shows you Aldershot
and Guildford etc.
Other attractions nearby are the Basingstoke Canal, Aldershot
Military Museum and the AMS Museum.
Group Visits and Organised Tours
Groups of 6 or more are welcome, but this is a small museum
and it is essential to book first to avoid clashes with other
groups. The Museum will be delighted to give tours of the
museum to groups of any kind, by prior arrangement, without
charge. Veterans are particularly welcome and we can put you
in touch with your Corps Association. The Muesum is prepared
to arrange tours for groups (including youth groups) in the
evening and at weekends, but we will normally require at least
a month’s notice.
Visitors with disabilities
There is full wheelchair access throughout the museum, together
with a suitable WC.
An induction loop is fitted to assist those with hearing problems.
The museum does not have a café or refreshment facilities,
but there is a café in Deepcut village.
The Corps Shop
The Royal Logistic Corps Shop is situated within the museum
building and sells both museum items and military uniform
and equipment. Click
here to visit Royal Logistic Corps Shop website
Friends of the Museum
The 'Friends of the RLC Museum' was established in late 2001
by Colonel (Retd) Peter Walton. If you are interested in becoming
a Friend or volunteering to help with the museum’s work, then
please contact the Museum.
The Museum is always keen to find volunteers who are willing
to help in the museum. If you are interested please contact
the Curator. Volunteers help with a range of tasks, depending
on their skills and interests. Possible roles include assisting
with basic conservation work, looking after visitors and inputting
information into the computer database.
RLC Museum Website
RLC Museum Facebook
RLC Museum Shop